||8 Allard place, Ingleburn, NSW 2565
- Electrical Engineering Faculty, Yerevan Politechnical Institute,
- Yerevan, USSR, 1958-1963.
- Post-graduate study for PhD (Candidate of technical Sciences),
- Armenian Research Institute of Energetics (1966-1969).
Academic degrees and titles according to the USSR all-union qualification system
Candidate of Technical Sciences (PhD) in the speciality of “Electrical Engineering”.
Doctor of Biological Sciences in the specialities of “Human and animal physiology” and “Biophysics”.
Senior Research Fellow in the speciality of “Biological and Medical Cybernetics”.
Professor in the speciality of “Control in Biological and Medical Systems (Including the Application of Computer Technology)”.
- Employment History
- 2013 – till now; Director, Kaoskey PTY Limited, Sydney.
- 2013 – till now; Honorary Associate, Sydney Medical School, Sydney University.
- 2008 – 2012: Research Officer, Sydney Medical School-Western, Faculty of Medicine, Sydney University.
- 1996 – 2008: Hospital scientist, Department of Clinical Sciences, Westmead Hospital, NSW 2145, Australia.
- 1974 – 1995: Laboratory Head: Laboratory of Neural Systems Mathematical Modelling, Institute of Physiology under National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Yerevan, Armenia (USSR).
- 1972-1974: Senior Scientific Officer, Laboratory Head: Laborartory of Functional Modelling of Biological Systems, The Institute of Experimental Biology under National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Yerevan, USSR.
- 1964 – 1972: PhD student, Chief Engineer, Senior Scientific Officer:
- Armenian Research Institute of Energetics, Yerevan, USSR.
- 1963: Assistant: The Chair of Electrical machines and apparatus,
- Yerevan Politechnical Institute, Yerevan, USSR.
Fields of interest: Analysis and modeling of biological signals including EEG, ERP, ECG, VEP and EMG. Quantitative methods of psychophysiological research.
Grant RYR000 from the International Science Foundation for the project: “The Coding Role of Facilitatory Synapses” (1994)
Linkage Grant HTECH.LG 930981 on the Priority Area on High Technology from the NATO scientific and environmental affairs division for the project “Simulation of Epileptogenesis via Computer Reconstructions of Neuronal Processes”, in collaboration with professor G. Kostopoulos (University of Patras, Greece). 1993-1995.
Publications: More than 90 scientific papers, and a monograph “Transients in Neuronal Systems”, Publ. House of Armenian Academy of Sciences, Yerevan, 1987.
Selected papers and patent application
- Patent application No. PCT/AU2014/050283 – D. Melkonyan. Decomposition of non-stationary signals into functional components (HMcIP ref: P31071PC00), 2014
- Melkonian D, Barin E. Non-linear dynamics and fractal composition of human electrocardiogram: a proposed universal formula for ECG waveforms. (2016) Fractal Geometry and Nonlinear analysis in Medicine and Biology 2(2), 1-9; DOI: 10.15761/FGNAMB.1000132
- Kozlowska, K, Melkonian, D, Spooner, C.J., Scher S., Meares, R. Cortical arousal in children and adolescents with functional neurological symptoms during the auditory oddball task. October 2016, Neuroimage Clinical 10/2016; DOI:10.1016/j.nicl.2016.10.016
- Melkonian D, Blumenthal T. (2013) Dynamics of the eyeblink EMG at global and microscopic scales. The Open Cybernetics and Systemics Journal 7, 11-22.
- Melkonian D, Korner A., Meares R., Bahramali H. (2012) Increasing sensitivity in the measurement of Heart Rate Variability: the method of Non-Stationary RR time-frequency analysis. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 108: 53-67.
- Melkonian D., Barin E., and Bahramali H. (2011) Chaotic dynamics of ECG waveforms at global and microscopic scales: theory and applications. The Open Cybernetics and Systemics Journal, 5, 16-28.
- Meares R., Schore A., Melkonian D. (2011) Is borderline personality a particularly right hemispheric disorder? A study of P3a using single trial analysis. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 45: 131-139
- Melkonian D. (2010) Similar basis function algorithm for numerical estimation of Fourier integrals. Numerical algorithms, 54: 73-100.
- Bahramali, H., Melkonian, D., O’Connell, O. (2008) Self regulation of the heart: natural frequency and damping of the heart contractions. The Open Cybernetics and Systemics Journal 2, 1-10.
- Meares, R., Gerull,F., Korner, A., Melkonian, D., Stevenson, J., & Samir. H., (2008) Somatization and Stimulus Entrapment. Journal of The American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry, 36(1): 165-180.
- Melkonian, D., Meares, R., Bahramali, H., Harris, A., & Williams, L. (2007) Numerical Fourier transform spectroscopy of EEG waveforms using similar basis function algorithm. Trends in Applied Spectroscopy, 6: 69-77.
- Harris, A., Melkonian, D., Williams, L., & Gordon, E. (2006) Dynamic spectral analysis findings in first episode and chronic schizophrenia. International Journal of Neuroscience, 116: 223-246.
- Meares, R., Melkonian, D., Gordon, E., & Williams, L. (2005) Distinct pattern of P3a event-related potential in borderline personality disorder. NeuroReport, 16: 289-293.
- Hermens, D.F., Williams, L.M., Lazzaro, I.., Whitmont, S., Melkonian, D., & Gordon, E. (2004) Sex differences in adult ADHD: a double dissociation in brain activity and autonomic arousal. Biological Psychology, 66: 221–233.
- Melkonian, D., Blumenthal, T.D., & Meares, R. (2003) High resolution fragmentary decomposition – a model based method of non-stationary electrophysiological signal analysis. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 131: 149-159.
- Blumenthal, T.D., & Melkonian, D. (2003) A model based approach to quantitative analysis of eyeblink EMG responses. Journal of Psychophysiology, 17:1-11.
- Melkonian, D., Gordon, E., & Bahramali, H. (2001) Single-event-related potential analysis by means of fragmentary decomposition. Biological Cybernetics, 85: 219-229.
- Melkonian, D., Blumenthal, T., & Gordon, E. (1999) Numerical Fourier transform spectroscopy of EMG half-waves: fragmentary-decomposition-based approach to nonstationary signal analysis. Biological Cybernetics, 81:457-467.
- Melkonian, D., Gordon, E., Rennie, C., & Bahramali, H. (1998) Dynamic spectral analysis of event-related potentials. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 108: 251-259.
- Melkonian, D., & Kostopoulos, G.K. (1996) Stochastic particle formulation of the vesicle hypothesis. Relevance to short-term phenomena. NeuroReport, 7: 937-942.
- Melkonian, D., & Kostopoulos, G.K. (1996) Novel approach to a quantitative treatment of the quantal transmitter release at the frog neuromuscular junction. Neuroscience Letters, 209: 13-16.
- Melkonian D. (1993) Direct evidence for the synaptic resonance phenomenon. NeuroReport, 5: 217-220
- Melkonian D. (1993)Transient analysis of a chemical synaptic transmission. Biological Cybernetics, 68: 341-350
- Melkonian D. (1992) Pattern dependent form of synaptic modification and its quantal origins. NeuroReport, 3: 937-940
- Melkonian D. (1991) Double barrier quantal model of neurotransmitter relese. NeuroReport, 2: 719-722.
- Melkonian, D. (1990) Mathematical theory of chemical synaptic transmission. Biological Cybernetics, 62:539-548.